Sunday 22 January 2012

And now for something completely different...

This post gets me passed number 20, something I told myself I'd pass just to prove I had the ability, and I must say I'm impressed with myself, so to celebrate this momentous achievement I thought I'd look at the best things to do with 21 in world football.
Mexico national football team
Officially the 21st best team in the world according to the FIFA Rankings, with a very strong youth set up Mexico could be challenging for prizes in a few years. One of the best of the rest of international football.
World no. 21 Mexico's no. 21
David Silva
Arguably the best player in the Premier League, the extremely gifted midfielder has everything, passing, pase and precision along with a good eye for goal other footballing greats to wear #21 include Andrea Pirlo, Pablo Aimar and Zinedine Zidane (though only at Juventus)

1954 FIFA World Cup
In this world cup no fewer than 21 players scored at least 3 goals at the tournament. Though you must remember this did include the free scoring Hungary side that can be ranked as one of the best teams of all time include the great Puskas.

Japan National Women's Football Team
On two occasions have this team put 21 goals past an opponent, the first in 1997 against Guam before early last year putting 21 past Palestine. Which is quite impressive you must admit.
Do you think she knows they're about to lose 21-0...
Richard Butcher and Daniel Jarque
You probably haven't heard of them (I hadn't either until I started doing research) but these are the only two people in world football who have had the squad number 21 retired for them, both cause they died. Aged 29 and 26. When Andres Iniesta scored the winner in the World Cup he took off his shirt to reveal a t-shirt saying Daniel Jarque always with us.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...
Lyon
The 21'st best club team of all time, the team that won 7 league titles in a row will have difficulty losing there crown as possibly the most successful club team domestically in the last decade.

Nawaf Al Abed
I may be stretching it a little but this deserves a mention. 2.1 seconds into a Saudi Arabian league fixture between Al-Hilal and Al Shoalah, Al Abed scored the fastest goal in football history. Please don't stone me for this crime.
The game kicks off and it's one nil...
Thank you for hopefully reading me bable on about 21, but I feel quite proud of myself as usually I can' commit to an intellectual project. #21 seems to pop quite randomly in football but that doesn't matter. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow don't worry...
 


  

2 comments:

  1. I like these numerical posts! Perhaps we could have a number a week! How about 13?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, i'll maybe make it a monthly thing

    ReplyDelete