Saturday 14 January 2012

The worst feeling ever...

I've always thought that it's down to fate whether a referees decision goes your way or not. That was before today. Today was the 2012 CISSA JV Tournament and this is where I learnt why people hate it when referees appear to be blind, biased or bonkers. We lost are first game 2-0 to MES (Modern English School), they where the best team in the tournament. They worked the first goal really well and finished it in the bottom corner giving me no chance. Are defence where nervous and in the second half they scored again, one of MES's players got one on one with me, I closed him down,  and I made a good stop with my legs, the ball was looping wide but one of the opposition charged forward and just managed to head the ball into the open net. But it was second game against ISC-6 (International School Choitfet 6th October City) that opened my eyes to bad refereeing decisions and why they are even more annoying when they happen to you. We lost 2-1, we should have won about 7-0, for two reasons, one we weren't clinical in front of goal. And two, the referee was either had very poor eyesight, didn't understand the rules of football or had been bribed by ISC-6, possibly all three. So anyway, the first goal the player was about a mile offside., the ball was played through to him no defensive players about 10 meters behind him.  Our other goalie was playing that game and he made a good save but another player followed it up to make it 1-0. Some decisions did go our way, but the frustration, the sheer hatred of the fact that you are behind and you shouldn't be filled me from head to toe. Their second goal was just as annoying they played it over the top and one of are defenders was running to collect it, the same player who scored the first goal (he was wearing the #12 shirt) was pulling at our defenders shirt, in fact he was holding more of our #4 then he was wearing. The goalie came to collect but didn't come out of his box giving the offender the chance to nip in and take it round the keeper and slot it home. Another refereeing decision so bad it would make Jorge Larrionda of Uruguay (the referee for Germany 4-1 England) forgive himself for his mistake, it was that bad. We did pull a goal back but it was to late, there #12 was sent off for a two footed from behind tackle that brought our #8 crashing to the ground with enough force to cause a small earthquake, it was a challenge that Vinnie Jones would have been proud of (I am certain they are related in some way) we almost got in a punch up on the field and I had to restrain our #8 from thumping the little scumbag, though I severely wanted to beat the c*** out of him myself. We lost the next game 4-0 to NCBIS (New Cairo British International School), the goal I let in was another poachers, there winger got in behind our defence and attemped to square it, I made a good interception with my hands but the other player was on hand to poke it home, the second was another one-on-one situation that left me with no chance. The other goalie came on at half time (not because I was playing bad) and conceded. So we headed into the 7th place play-off hoping to restore some pride against CAC (Cairo American College). We lost 2-1, another clear offside wasn't given to let there striker in, bad goalkeeping by the other goalie, he didn't close down and was easily beaten at his near post. I came on for the second half, I made a good save from a header and cleared to ball down field, our captain received it on his chest turned his marker, and as they jostled for the ball he fired a low shot into the bottom corner, me with the assist, 1-1. I made a great save from a one-on-one situation, saving a great mid-height shot full stretch around the post. Unfortunately they scored again, their was a mix up between me and #4 and the striker got in to poke it through my legs. We came last, I saw it as a good learning experience and was one of the better players in our squad. It was good training for my trip to Dubai, where we should do much better. I asked my coach if she was from Derby, weirdly she wasn't...     

No comments:

Post a Comment